Gluten-free Sugar-free Granola - GF, DF
This is a family favourite and usually this recipe gets doubled and baked in a very large roasting pan.
Add the granola to some fruit and/or plain organic goat/sheep yogurt, or top up a small bowl of porridge, or mix it into a chia seed pudding, or eat as-is! It also makes a great gift in a jar with a ribbon.
This healthy, sugar-free granola reduces hunger for a long time. Enjoy!
6 cup large flake rolled oats (be sure to use gluten-free oats)
1 cup whole almonds (unblanched)
1 cup slivered almonds
1 cup unsweetened flaked or medium coconut
1 cup sunflower seeds (raw & unsalted)
1 cup sesame seeds (raw & unsalted)
1 cup pumpkin seeds (raw & unsalted)
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup chopped pecans
1 cup grapeseed oil or coconut oil
1 tablespoon pure almond extract (not essential)
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract (use 2 tbsp if you didn't use almond extract)
1 to 2 cup - Sulphite-free dried fruit (optional) Ie: blueberries, cranberries, goji berries, currants, raisins etc
Use raw, unsalted seeds and nuts where ever possible
There is no misprint…this recipe does not require sugar and it tastes great!
Dried fruits generally contain sulphites. Try to buy sulphite-free whenever possible.
1. Combine all dry ingredients (rolled oats, seeds & nuts etc) in a large roasting pan…do not include & bake dried fruit/berries as they will become too dry.
2. In a 2 cup glass measuring cup combine oil & flavouring extracts. Microwave or heat for 1 minute till mixture becomes liquid…stir to mix.
3. Pour hot oil mixture over dry ingredients & mix well.
4. Bake uncovered at 250F for 2 hours or longer (depending on oven) until light golden, stirring occasionally….be careful to not let mixture get too dark.
5. Let sit to cool.
6. Add desired berries/raisins/cranberries etc to the cooled mixture … Mix well.
7. Package into glass containers (preferably) or Ziploc into freezer bags and freeze (make sure they are absolutely cooled as heat + plastic = leached chemicals), or put it into jars with a bow for a great gift idea!