Healthy Energy Balls - GF, DF
These little energy balls are delicious and their sweetness comes from some dried fruit (hopefully sulfite free!). They are handy when you need a nutritious and quick pick-me-pick. Modify the ingredients as you please and enjoy!
1/2 cup raw almonds
1/2 cup raw cashews
1/2 cup raw walnuts
1/2 cup raw pecans
1/4 cup raw sunflower seeds
1/2 cup raw pumpkin seeds
1/8 cup hemp seeds
1/8 cup freshly ground flaxseed
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 - 1 cup mixed sulfite-free dried fruit of choice - ie: raisins, cranberries, currants, chopped apricots, chopped dates, chopped figs, etc
1/2 cup natural peanut butter to start. If mixture becomes too crumbly, add a little more peanut butter, just a teaspoon at a time
Optional - finely shredded unsweetened coconut (to roll the balls in)
Avoid adding more sweetener to foods whenever possible; if necessary you can add some honey or maple syrup to taste
1. Chop all nuts into small pieces. You could use a food processor to chop the nuts - if some of the nuts are reduced to "meal," that's okay.
2. Place chopped nuts in a large mixing bowl. Add all remaining ingredients and mix well.
3. Chill in fridge for 30 minutes or until firm enough to form balls.
4. Form small, dense 2- bite balls.
5. Roll the balls in unsweetened coconut if desired (optional).
6. Refrigerate, or place in freezer if making in bulk and you don't plan to eat for awhile.
Makes about 24 balls.